Il Borgo del Fattore - Foligno 
 
 



Foligno Lu centro de lu munnu

 

The town belonged to the Umbrian people, the Fulginates. After the Battle of Sentino in 295 BC, the Romans took control of the territory. The city was a prefecture than an important Roman city; the urban structure still retains obvious traces of the Roman settlement. In the High Middle Ages, to protect itself from barbarian invasions, the population took refuge at San Valentino di Civitavecchia in the surrounding hills. During the Lower Middle Ages, the people of Foligno reopened the city, whose location (the centre of the world) once again became a market of considerable importance. An important Ghibelline town, sandwiched between Perugia and Spoleto, both Guelfe, it was a rival to the beautiful and powerful Monastery of Santa Croce di Sassovivo which, not coincidentally, was granted the privilege of extraterritoriality by the Holy See. In 1305, The Trinci family, with the Pope's favour, became the Lords of the city and succeeded in keeping it for more than a century. Their dominion came to a violent end in 1439 and afterwards the city was governed by papal legates.
Historical events
In the large square, Saint Francis performed his first act of poverty; in 1206 he sold his horse, laden with cloth, to restore the church of Saint Damian.
Frederick II, "The Wonder of the World", spent the first years of his life in Foligno raised by the Duchess of Spoleto to whom he was entrusted by his mother Costanza di Altavilla. He returned some years later as Emperor to rally his army before the siege of Rome.
Given the presence, in Val Menotre, of some of the first paper mills in Italy, the first edition of the Divine Comedy was printed in Foligno. In April 1472, Emiliano Orfini from Foligno, Papal Minter, along with Johan Numeister, from Germany, printed 300 copies of the "Divine Comedy". It was the first book printed in Italy in the Italian language. The print shop, founded in 1470, was one of the first on the peninsula.
Monuments
- Piazza della Repubblica
- Duomo
- Palazzo Trinci
- S. Giacomo church
- S. Nicolò church
- SS. Salvatore church